Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hard Headed

Each time I pick the kids up from the kiddie corral, my little Bug makes a beeline to walk through a decorative rock bed outside. Now, these aren't the "small crushed gravel" kind of rocks, but more like "I'm studying to be a boulder" rocks. They are waaaaaay to big for her tiny feet and 'lack of balance' self to be navigating. She makes me a nervous wreck. All I can see is a head injury requiring sutures or her missing teeth for 4 years. Either way, it makes me crazy. She won't hold my hand and is determined to walk in it "BY MYSELF". 

I have pondered why she wants to do this....why, when the safety of my hand is there...why, when there is a smooth path that she could take? 'Cause she thinks she can handle it alone. It's fun...or at least it will seem to be until she takes that inevitable spill that will hurt. Of course, I will be there to scoop her up and comfort her and hopefully help her learn to choose another path. Oh my sweet child....she's taught me a lesson.

Just like this darling, I am also hard headed. I choose to walk alone at times, not holding God's hand through the rocky terrain of life. "I can handle it."  "I know what I'm doing." Thinking that what I'm doing is fun or exciting, even if it isn't 100% in line with God's word. (Everyone of us is guilty of that...it's called sin...I've got it, you've got it, the world has it.) Then the spill happens and it does HURT, whether physical or emotional or spiritually. Yet, our God is there....He's there to pick us up in our broken state and put us back together if we will just reach for His hand. There maybe a long spiritual rehab that leaves us with scars and perhaps a limp at times, but He will be there, every step of the way.
Also, I think that we could do ourselves a lot of good by reaching for His hand and moving to the safer path. It could save us some pain and heartache. Don't get me wrong, bad things will happen to all of us, no matter who we are...good, bad or otherwise. These are the facts of life. "If bad things happened to bad people and good things happened to good people, people would be good for the wrong reasons."--Dr. Jerry Jones We should be striving to be good because we love our God and want to serve and glorify Him with our lives. The Bible gives us plenty of examples of good people that had bad things happen to them: Moses, Job......Jesus. However, our ability to handle these things is dramatically impacted when we are centered in Jesus. We have the love, guidance, peace and comfort from a God and Savior who have given the ultimate sacrifice for us....hard headed, sinful, slow to learn, US.


Dear Lord,

I thank you for loving and guiding me in the midst of my hard headedness. Thank you for always being there when I reach out my hand. Show me how to keep myself centered in You, even with the distractions that this world brings. Lead me down the path You have chosen for me. Thank you for Jesus! Thank you for my precious children, who are constantly teaching me about You. Lord, please give me wisdom to parent them the way that You do me. 


~*Love your daughter*~

No comments:

Post a Comment