Sunday, April 13, 2014

Cut It Out

There has been a world of progress made since my last post. My little bear is blooming in his own little way. This is not really somewhere I thought we would be this soon. Good things are coming around the corner too!

Occupational therapy is one of the integral steps in helping SPD kids learn to function with the differences in their bodies. We have a wonderful OT that diagnosed our little bear, but she is over an hour away and it isn't feasible to see her three times a week. Since November, I have been praying and searching for a way to make OT happen for us. There weren't any OTs that work specifically with SPD to my knowledge or to the knowledge of the therapy places I inquired. Randomly, I called the first place I checked back, just on a whim to see if maybe something had changed. They didn't have any new staff but did make a recommendation for me. We are now scheduled with an OT here in Stillwater that TRULY understands what SPD is and looks like...her son is sensational too! I can't express to you how important it is to bring your petitions before God....He will deliver when and if the timing is right and in a better way than you can imagine. Never once had I really thought about having a therapist who LIVES with SPD on a daily basis like we do. How much better can it get? Professional, practical, and maternal advice!

I know that most of you have very limited knowledge or exposure to SPD, and in my effort to help bless others through our journey, I would like to share a glimpse of our life with you...
Hair cuts....routine part of life for most everyone, correct? Not a life altering experience, not a physical marathon, just a hair cut...not a big deal, right? As some of you have noticed, I let my little guy's hair grow out pretty long between haircuts. We average 4-5 at most a year. Over the summer, I may not cut it at all. Why? Because it is very unpleasant for him. Does he scream and kick? No. Then what's the big deal? It physically causes him pain and discomfort. His little body perceives all those sensations in such a magnified way. Clippers are really uncomfortable because they vibrate and make noise. Scissors are OK for the most part. We used to go to professionals to get it cut, but it is so much better for him now that I do it at home. We can take as long as we need, do it in sessions, do it over several days, whatever. He is so much less anxious, better able to deal with it here at home. Are my haircuts perfect? No, but they are pretty good for an amateur. 
Anxious to start








Stop and think next time you see someone with a "non-professional" haircut. There may be a whole world of reasons it looks the way it does! 

Dear Lord,

Thank you for my little bear. Thank you for the journey you have put us on. Thank you for helping me acquire new skills, such as hair cutting, to endure the course. Your love is so amazing. How am I worthy to be blessed to be a mother? Please guide me to be a parent to my children the way you are to me. 

Love your daughter,
~*Shelby*~

1 comment:

  1. What a miracle to find such a perfect OT!!!
    You are such a wonderful mom. God knew what He was doing when he put you all together. XOXO

    ReplyDelete